Behavioural Education and Training Supports Inventory (BETSI)
Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO) has published the Behavioural Education and Training Supports Inventory (BETSI), a comprehensive decision making framework and program inventory that will strengthen the capacity of planners to choose the most appropriate of education programs and effectively support the application of new knowledge into practice.
BETSI compliments BSOs Capacity Building Roadmap; assisting providers, agencies and facilities to build knowledgeable care teams who will provide the best care possible, in safe and supportive workplaces, for older adults with or at risk of responsive behaviours due to mental health, dementia, addictions or other neurological disorders; and their caregivers. BETSI allows planners and organizations to define local education needs and decide on appropriate behavioural, health and safety education and training programs, thereby ensuring efficient use of their training resources, while notably enabling their teams to provide clients with the right care, at the right time and in the right place.
BETSI assists users to determine:
- whether they need education;
- whether they are able to support practice change;
- what educational opportunities are available to them;
- the components necessary to ensure effective implementation and to sustain investments; and
- how each program aligns with the BSO target population, core competencies and service functions.
Who Should Use the Tool:
The BETSI Framework should be used by those who need to make decisions about what education is required to manage and better serve older adults with responsive behaviours. Across service sectors this could include Directors of Care, Psychogeriatric Resource Consultants, Educators, Capacity Building Leads, Joint Health & Safety Committees etc.
- BETSI Video
- Section A - Introduction and Overview
- Section B - Assessment Tool
- Section C - Sustaining and Evaluating the Investment
- Section D - Program Inventory
- Full version (including Program Inventory)
- BETSI Decision Making Framework
- Behavioural Education and Training Supports Inventory (BETSI) Knowledge Exchange Event - recording, (slides) Patti Boucher, Public Services Health and Safety Association, July 18th, 2012